Saturday, August 21, 2010

Gettin' dressed!


(Before I get started, can I ask what is UP with the fonts on this blog? I can't get them to match at all! Someone help!)

The big wedding task of THIS week was to have my first bridal gown fitting. I can’t reveal too many details about the dress because it is far too enjoyable to torture Joe by keeping it a surprise but I will say that I am in love, love, love with it. I know that finding a dress can be dramatic for many brides but I have had the best experience working with the amazing ladies at Haute Bride in San Francisco!




The beautiful Haute Bride store


I discovered Haute Bride because my good friend Rosie moonlights there on the weekends. She introduced me to Meghan, store manager and ultimate gown guru, who has been there with me every step of the process. I can’t tell you how comforting it is to know that should anything go wrong with the dress (fingers crossed), I have Meghan and Rosie there to make it right. I love you girls, thank you!


While we were trying on my dress this week, Rosie brought up the VERY important subject of guest attire at the wedding. The wedding attire is semi-formal but I want to share some important information that may help guide you on what to wear.


Northern California weather can be tricky and this year in particular has been completely strange. Typically September is one of the nicest months of the year with warm to hot days and cool evenings. Unfortunately, our summer has been one of the coldest in more than 30 years. Grrrreeeat. Everyone keeps reassuring me that the weather will return to normal by the end of September but I would highly encourage everyone to monitor the temperature and plan accordingly.


In terms of warmth, the best advice I can give is to bring layers as the temperature will drop once the sun goes down. Fortunately, our wedding starts rather early (3:00 pm) and sunset won’t take place until around 7:00 pm. We have heat lamps for dinner and our hope is that everyone keeps warm into the evening by dancing their hearts out on the dance floor!


For the ladies, bear in mind that we will be on soft ground cover for the majority of the evening. Normal heels should be fine but I would advise against 5” stilettos. Since the whole “walking down the aisle” thing is rather important for me, I have opted for wedges but again; normal to thick heels should be ok.


Finally, I will reveal the inspiration for our wedding in an upcoming post, but we are definitely going for a vintage and classic feel. Feel free to get in the spirit of things by dressing with a vintage flair!